Spay/Neuter: What you need to know
Spay/Neuter appointments are $50 per cat and include:
By spaying or neutering your cat(s), you help control the cat over-population which results in millions of healthy cats being euthanized in the United States each year simply because there aren’t enough homes to go around. Over-population is the leading cause of death in cats.
Read more about spay/neuter benefits...
How much does it cost and what is included?
FVRCP (Distemper) Vaccine
Proactive Flea Control, Round/Hookworms, Ear Mites Treatment - Revolution or equivalent
Ear Tip (optional)
General Medical Exam for identifiable medical issues
Are there additional services offered?
Yes! We are happy to provide the following additional services at the time of the appointment. Please note,
these services are
available without spay/neuter surgery.
FeLV/FIV testing (feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency virus)
Microchip - $25.00 (includes free lifetime registration)
Praziquantel injection (tapeworm treatment) - $10.00
Nail trim - Free
Awesome! How do I schedule an appointment?
There are several ways to schedule an appointment:
1) Call us at (352) 840-0663 and follow the prompts;
2) For fastest service, self-schedule your appointment by clicking one of the links at the top of the page.
As a primarily volunteer-based non-profit organization, Sheltering Hands has limited staff and resources. We work hard to help as many cats and their caretakers as possible. Our small clinic has spayed/neutered over 10,000 cats since we opened, but the need is always greater than any one organization can handle. For the safety of the cats and our staff and volunteers, we have to place a limit on the number of cats we can do at each surgery day.
How does the appointment work?
- Check-In is between 8:00am - 8:45am on the date of surgery. Due to surgical time constraints, we are ONLY able to check-in cats during this time. Clients arriving before 8:00am OR after 8:45am on their appointment day will need to reschedule.
- Each cat must be in a separate carrier or trap. Wire cages, like dog crates, are NOT permitted. Any cat in a wire cage will not be treated that day.
- Kittens MUST be at least 12 weeks old. Any kitten that is determined to be less than 12 weeks old will need to be rescheduled.
- Cats must NOT eat after midnight the night before for safety concerns.
- Pick-up is 5:00pm the same day.
- Payment for services, in the form of cash, check or credit card) is expected at check-in.
Make your check-in process faster on surgery day by completing your paperwork ahead of time. Print a copy for each cat/kitten having surgery, fill out the form and bring with you.
Click here to access the form.
What if I need a trap for the cats I want to bring for an appointment?
We are pleased to offer traps that you can rent for spay/neuter appointments. Trap use is free; however, a deposit is required and will be returned when you return the trap.